I interviewed The Zutons for the music website Gigwise in September 2003. The band’s debut single ‘Devil’s Deal’ had been released in September 2002 but my meeting with the band pre-dated the release of their debut album ‘Who Killed The Zutons?’ by eight months.
I visited them at their Catherine Street flat. I remember that their singer Dave McCabe apologised after the interview for the fact they were not very talkative, explaining that they were not used to being interviewed.
Should the above link fail, here are the songs that the band chose for the ‘Make us a Mix-Tape’ feature:
The intrepid Jules Reid catches up with a The Zutons and pleads with them to make him a compilation tape. This is how they’d fill up a C60 for him:
1. My favourite things – John Coltrane
2. Baby don’t do it – The Band
3. Moanin’ – Charles Mingus
4. Young lovers do – Van Morrison
5. Friction – Television
6. Clear spot – Captain Beefheart
7. You’re all I need to get by – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
8. And she was – Talking Heads
9. Midnight cowboy – John Barry
10. Tracks of my tears – Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
11. Happiness is a warm gun – The Beatles